A big reason why Ben and I started VTX Capital was to help people learn about different ways to earn extra money. We talk a lot about all of the different ways to earn extra money, from just simple gigs on the side, to launching full blown startups (and everything in between).
Obviously, earning extra money is something that can really change your life. Money can buy you freedom in more ways than one, despite what people may say.
Note: This post originally appeared on our other site, Breaking The One Percent.
Earning extra money on top of your day job can improve many areas of your life:
- Less stress from living paycheck to paycheck
- Reduce the burden of crippling debt
- More opportunities to save for a dream vacation
- It can be passed on to others for social good
- You can retire earlier
- It can be snowballed into even more wealth
The purpose of this post is to serve as a source of ideas for you to earn extra money. Let this list be a source of inspiration to you!
Whether you've only got a few spare minutes to make a quick buck or if you are willing to burn the midnight oil in the hours after your full-time job and put in maximum effort, there are SO many ways to earn extra money.
There is a ton of information on this page, so I suggest bookmarking it and coming back periodically.
Alright, let's get to it!
My Top Ways to Earn Extra Money
There's something on this list for everyone, but I wanted to start things off with my personal favorites in terms of making extra money.
1. Start a Blog: This can be just a simple side hustle, or it can turn into something really special; it's up to you. I'm a huge fan of blogging because I love writing and connecting with people all over the world. If you want to get started, read my post From 0-$100k: How Anyone Can Start Blogging. If you need some inspiration, read about how we made over $7,100 in one month of blogging. Seriously, don't discount the incredible opportunities that blogging can provide!
HostGator has one of the best deals on the internet right now for getting a money-making blog up and running. They make it simple and easy to get started (and have everything you need all in one place), which is why I like recommending them to ambitious new bloggers. Zero tech knowledge needed!
FREE Course: How to Make $7,000+/mo Online
- Learn How to Start Your Blog
- Learn How to Build Traffic
- Learn How to Generate Profit
2. Do Online Surveys: Companies are willing to pay money to get inside the heads of consumers. Below are my favorite survey sites. They’re free to join and free to use. Pro tip: It’s best to sign up for as many as you can as that way you can receive the most surveys and make the most money.
Other reputable survey sites worth trying:
3. Drive for Uber: This is a really good use of your time if you are trying to make some extra cash in a weekend. By driving with Uber, you have the flexibility to work whenever you want, which means you can make money on your schedule.
Related Post: How I made $427 in 2 Days Driving for Uber
4. Earn More Interest on Your Savings: Move your savings over to a bank account that actually pays you a decent interest rate on your savings. Discover Bank pays about 5X the national average savings rate. Take 10 minutes out of your day and do this- over time, it really does make a difference.
5. Become a Freelance Proofreader: In 2014, Caitlin Pyle made over $43,000 by working as a freelance proofreader… PART TIME. When she wasn’t working, she even had time to go on several fun vacations. After she had a ton of success doing that, she decided she wanted to teach others how to do the same thing, so she started up Proofread Anywhere. Sign up for her Free 7 Day Email Course on making money as a proofreader.
6. Sell Your Stuff: Most of us are guilty of hanging onto things that we never use, myself included. Take a day and go through all your old stuff and get rid of some of it! One tool that is really helpful for this is Decluttr. you can enter your items barcodes into their valuation engine and they'll give you an instant offer. Then you simply pack all your items into a box and then ship your items to them for free. Get cash for your stuff with Decluttr.
7. Donate Plasma: Donating your body is a great way to help other people in need, and some donation centers even pay donors. I regularly donate platelets and plasma with the American Red Cross (who unfortunately do not compensate donors), but it's a great way to give back to the community.
To find a plasma donation center near you that compensates donors, visit donatingplasma.org.
8. Get Cashback When You Shop:
Technically you’re not getting money, but you’re getting money back (cashback) on purchases you would have made anyways. Cool thing is, this is on top of any discounts/coupon codes you already have. The two best sites that offer cashback on your online purchases are Ebates ($10 free signup bonus) and Swagbucks ($5 free signup bonus).
9. Sell Custom Designed T-Shirts: I recently stumbled upon a really neat website, Teespring.com, where you can design t-shirts and sell them online. If you can come up with some cool designs and use Facebook ads to target exactly who would love your designs, you can definitely earn extra money with this side hustle. How to Make Facebook Ads for Selling T-Shirts.
10. Invest Your Savings: Depending on your age, you should be netting around 7% year with a balanced investment portfolio. Have $50,000 in savings? That is $3,500 dollars PER YEAR that you are missing out on by not investing. And getting started is easier than you think. Check out How to Make Money in the Stock Market, courtesy of Mr. Money Moustache. And FYI, TradeKing has a promo going on right now where you can get up to $100 in free trade commissions.
Related Post: How to Open an IRA in 10 Minutes
…More of My Favorites:
11. Peer to Peer Lending: Using money you already have to make more money is usually a pretty smart move. Using a service like Lending Club is a great way to act as a lender and earn interest on your money. Essentially, YOU act as the bank, which is pretty neat. Lending Club is the world's largest online credit marketplace connecting borrowers and investors. Definitely something worth looking into!
Related Post: Our Lending Club Investing Review
12. Manage Social Media for Businesses: This can also include advertising, but many businesses also need help just filling up their social media profiles with relevant (and consistent) content. If you enjoy learning about social media and want to take things a step further and earn extra money, social media management is a great option. If you're good at it, it can also open up a lot of doors for you down the road. This is a great article from Small Biz Trends on How to Start Your Own Social Media Business.
13. Sell Gift Cards You'll Never Use: We all have them. That random store that you never go to, but your grandma thought you'd love. Raise is a marketplace for buying and selling gift cards online. It's free to join, and consumers can either buy discounted gift cards or sell their gift cards in exchange for cash.
14. Participate in Paid Research Studies: If you live near a university, there are likely all sorts of research studies looking for participants. While I was an undergrad at Virginia Tech, I got paid $500 to participate in a 6 week dietary study. The study provided all my meals AND paid me, but I had to eat a 5,000 calorie diet of 50% fat for 6 weeks, plus I had multiple muscle biopsies taken, urine/blood testing, etc.
15. Use Swagbucks for Online Search:
Swagbucks is a great way to passively earn cash and Amazon gift cards with very little work. They have a search tool, which is just like using Google to do your online searches, except you get rewarded “SBs” for the things you do through their website. Redeem SBs for rewards. And by signing up through our link, they give you a free $5. Boom.
16. Trade Options: Warning: don't do this without at least SOME understanding of what you are doing. Trading options is similar to trading stocks, but there can be higher risks involved. Optionshouse is a great platform for options trading, and right now they have a promotion where they are offering commission free trading for 60 days when you open an account. To learn more about trading options, read this Simple Guide to Making Money with Options.
17. Install the Nielsen Digital Voice App: Install the app, surf the web, and get entries into their monthly $10,000 sweepstakes. Learn more about Nielsen Digital Voice here.
19. Consulting for Local Small Businesses: This side hustle can easily become a full time job! If you've got expertise in an area and think you can help small businesses near you, give this a shot. For instance, Ben and I know a lot about running Facebook advertising campaigns, so we approached the owner of our gym if he would let us design a few campaigns for him. And of course he was thrilled to get the help! Here's a useful 18 Step Checklist for Becoming a Small Business Consultant.
20. Affiliate Marketing: That's how this website is able to generate thousands in revenue each month without selling anything. Setting up an affiliate-focused website is fairly easy, but it will take quite a bit of time and effort to draw in enough traffic to make decent money. Our article From 0-$100k: How Anyone Can Start Blogging is a great starting point!
Other Ways to Earn Extra Money:
21. Create an Online Course: If you've got expertise in a certain area, package up your knowledge into an online course and sell it. This has become a very popular business model for online entrepreneurs over the past several years. The two big websites that are used to sell online courses are Udemy and Teachable. Check out this awesome article from Regina over at byRegina.com on How to Create an Online Course that Sells.
22. Offer Resume Help: This can either be done locally or through an online service like Fiverr. Resumes are something that people can be very insecure and self conscious about, which means there is always a demand for services that will help spruce them up. Holly Hanna from The Work at Home Woman wrote a really useful article on How to Make Money from Home with Resume Writing.
23. Become a Bartender: If you live in a college town, this can be a really lucrative side hustle. Get a better idea of how much you can expect to earn as a bartender here.
24. Pet Sitting: Especially around the holidays, this service is in high demand. People want someone they can trust to look after their pets while they are out of town. ToughNickel has a helpful page on Making Money as a Pet Sitter.
25. Start Personal Training: If you have a passion for fitness and love helping others improve their health, you might consider becoming a personal trainer. With social media, there are now more ways than just 1 on 1 training to earn extra money in the fitness industry. Smart Asset wrote a great piece on The Economics of Personal Training.
You'll usually see me on here writing articles about how to save (and make!) money, how to make smarter investment choices, and how to have a better overall financial life. If there's ever a topic you'd like to see me cover, shoot me an email!